Facts

The History of the LMC

Presentations for centennial LMC, 20 August 2019

  • Presentation,  Philippe Simonin, member of LMC from 1972 to 2011.
  • Presentation Prof. Volker Wittman, Prof. ETHZ and former director of LMC
  • Presentation, Prof. Karen Scrivener, Prof. EPFL and current director of LMC

The LMC would like to thank Mr Philippe Simonin for the series of posters on the history of LMC found below.Presentation

1918

Founding of the Laboratory of Materials Testing under the direction of Professor Marius LACOMBE

/webdav/site/lmc/shared/history1.jpg

1949 – 1972

Professor Jean-Pierre DAXELHOFER
Under his initiative the “Laboratoire des matériaux pierreux” was created.
This period saw the construction of large dams in Switzerland and the main activity of LMP was to provide a service to the industry.
In 1969 the Polytechnical School of the University of Lausanne became the EPFL (Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne).

Related posters

/webdav/site/lmc/shared/Professors/delisle.jpg1974 – 1978

Professor Jean-Pierre DELISLE
During his short tenure J.-P. DELISLE, a born teacher, focused on
the development of undergraduate teaching and applied research.

Related Poster

/webdav/site/lmc/shared/Professors/Wittmann.jpg1980 – 1989

Professor Folker H. WITTMANN
The Laboratory became the Laboratory of Construction Materials, with
the development of the approach to the study of construction materials
based on fundamental sciences.

Related Poster

/webdav/site/lmc/shared/Professors/huet.jpg1989 – 2001

Professor Christian HUET
Under his direction the emphasis was placed on modelling the
mechanical behaviour of construction materials

Related Poster

/webdav/site/lmc/shared/Professors/karen.jpg2001-

Professor Karen SCRIVENER
Research oriented towards the characterisation of the microstructure
of construction materials

Related Poster